Mpx5010 gs

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stachelrodt
Mpx5010 gs

I just received my sensors and got no documentation as to what the pins do or anything for that matter, I was wondering if anyone had any experience or could point me in a direction to find this information

Stachelrodt

I did find pin out definition on mouser, but which style do I use page 10/23

[url]http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MPX5010.pdf[/url]

Just use the pinout on pages 11 and 12

Stachelrodt

which pins connect to brew troller 123?

Stachelrodt

awesome, do the three other pins need any sort of hook up?

Stachelrodt

ps what watt resistor do i need for correction on a bubbler set up

shushikiary

I used a 1 mega ohm resistor for my bubbler setup with the 3.3 board. It worked out quite well along with changing the pressure sensor averaging buffer to 16 instead of 5 samples.

Also, the 2nd set of pins are no connect. This sensor shares a common package with another type of sensor that has 2 pressure sensors in the same package but they are not differential sensors. Thus the pins are for the 2nd sensor, and it's cheaper for them to have the same package for both sensor types so you get the extra pins even though they arnt used. The one we use for our setup is a differential pressure sensor (which is what you want or else you're volume reading per pressure would change with temperature and altitude, etc).

Stachelrodt

i saw the forum on changing the code as well as the hardware change, when i get the board ready and set i will post asking for more help along those lines. what about the wattage of the resistor does that matter? I am assuming it does, i have found them in everything 1/4 1/2 1 and 2 watt

1/4 watt is just fine, not really much power going through it

Shush,

I don't recall from your original post but the resistor goes in series with the sensor output?? I assume it is just making a filter.

Guy

Correct, it's just increasing the time of the onboard filter

[QUOTE=jcdillin]Correct, it's just increasing the time of the onboard filter[/QUOTE]

I see, I guess it is just making the time constant longer.

Daleh

Hi Guys,

Will a MPXV5010GC6T1 work for working out volumes? I see it's gauge rather than differential as in the MPX5010DP.

Thanks

Dale

Yeah it will work, most of the 5010 series will work since they have the onboard amplifiers. The issue with that model is going to be getting a reliable pressure connection since they have such a small nipple.

I actually started out with that model and finally broke down and bought the 5010dp

shushikiary

Correct, the resistor decreases the knee frequency of the RC low pass circuit effectivly increasing the higher frequency noise attenuation.

JUST MAKE SURE that you put the resistor as close to the BT board as you can get it and NOT at the sensor, else the entire line after the resistor will still be open to noise and it will have a larger effect sense less current from the sensor is allowed through the resistor.

Oh, and yes it always seems so obvious to me that the resistor should be in series, sorry I always forget to mention that. So yes the resistor is in series with the signal wire.

And yes, I use 1/8th watt resistors for this, the power through the resistor on this is on the order of less than 1 miliwatt.

Stachelrodt

I just connected the sensors to my system and started to do a quick calibration, It seems to register number values while calibrating but does not show up in other screens as a volume reading, am i doing something incorrectly? The numbers seems to go up pretty regularly as I calibrated

What numbers did you get when calibrating?

Stachelrodt

I can go check for exact numbers but it was in a progression starting at 24 ish and going up to about 300? if i am not mistaking going up 30-40 per 1.5 gallons i added, I didnt measure so accurately but just wanted a test run.

Stachelrodt

for every 1.5 gallons starting at 0 24,74,111,152,189,222,282,314,348

ending at 13.5

Ok, that sounds pretty good, now if you swap over to the fill screen what does it say?

Also what vessel was this on?

Stachelrodt

its on my mash tun vessel i am running a two vessel system, when i go to the fill screen is says 0.000 and my respective temp I believe I am going to run down once more an double check this

after checking the screen has no temp obviously but it does not say i have 13.5 gallons in there

it says target and actual 0.000

Stachelrodt

do i need to empty the keg and start filling again?

If your recalibrating, yes.

When you put water into the vessel are you entering the total number of gallons you have in the vessel or are you putting the volume you just added in?

The other possibility is that you have a leak and its letting water back into the tube causing it to drop to 0. The way to check that is calibrate to like 4 gallons. Then wait 15 minutes come back and just add another calibration point and make sure it's at the same number as the previous calibration point.

Stachelrodt

I did something similar last night

I checked the volume of 13.5 gallons a few times and usualy got the same if not off by one or two(movement) number I hgave to go to work but will recheck everything when i get home

Stachelrodt

totaly number of volume in the kettle is what i am entering, correct?

Stachelrodt

I checked my system when i got home it read the same stats, I may go and buy new pressure sensors even tho i think they are reading ok, I am stumped as to why this isnt working as it is reading values of some sort but not translating them into a volume reading

edit:will check again right now

PS edit: I checked and my value for a standing 13.5 gallons (as i have not emptied the keg) is 345 against my 348 before it seems reasonable

Stachelrodt

any suggestions?

bschaefer66

[QUOTE=shushikiary]Correct, the resistor decreases the knee frequency of the RC low pass circuit effectivly increasing the higher frequency noise attenuation.

JUST MAKE SURE that you put the resistor as close to the BT board as you can get it and NOT at the sensor, else the entire line after the resistor will still be open to noise and it will have a larger effect sense less current from the sensor is allowed through the resistor.

Oh, and yes it always seems so obvious to me that the resistor should be in series, sorry I always forget to mention that. So yes the resistor is in series with the signal wire.

And yes, I use 1/8th watt resistors for this, the power through the resistor on this is on the order of less than 1 miliwatt.[/QUOTE]

I am reading though all the threads on this because Santa brought me a couple of pressure sensors and I did have a question on this.... does the resistor go on the signal wire? also I noticed JC had said in a thread somewhere that he may build this into the board, did that happen yet or do I need to still do this?

Correct, the resistor needs to go on the signal wire as close as you can get it to the BT.

I haven't started putting bigger resistors since I haven't seen enough test results yet.